#DayofFacts is done! See the Storify
About the campaign
#DayofFacts was an international social media campaign that took place on February 17, 2017. On this day, museums, libraries, archives, cultural institutions, science centers and other trusted public sources of knowledge shared mission-related content using the hashtag #DayofFacts. While there were no limits on the factual content that could be shared, we encouraged institutions to share content relevant to this particular moment in American history. By not taking an overt political stand but simply sharing mission-related, objective, and relevant facts, we aimed to show the world that our institutions are still trusted sources for truth and knowledge.
This campaign was also an opportunity to reaffirm our institutions as welcoming places for everyone. Many of our constituents and visitors are part of groups that are feeling more marginalized than ever. Museums and cultural organizations are uniquely situated to serve as safe and welcoming places (physical or virtual) committed to their communities without exception.
- Washington Post: Museums and libraries fight ‘alternative facts’ with a #DayofFacts
- Chicago Sun-Times: Steinberg: Telling the truth is now a political act
- Hyperallergic: Museums, Libraries, and Cultural Organizations Fight Misinformation with #DayofFacts
- Huffington Post: Here’s What We Learned From Friday’s #DayofFacts
- Quartz: Libraries and museums team up for bold political statement: Facts are real
- Mashable: Libraries are fighting back hard against Trump’s America
- Chicagoist: Video: The Field Museum Expertly Throws Shade On ‘Alternative Facts’ For #DayOfFacts
Posts by participants
- Newberry Library, Why We’re Joining #DayOfFacts and #DayOfFacts
- DePaul University Library, DePaul’s #DayofFacts
- Ecsite, From Ear Candling to Trump: Science Communication in the Post-Truth World
- Finger Lakes Library System, Day of Facts
- Gustavus Adolphus College, The Library’s #DayofFacts
- Field Museum, Facts Matter at the Field Museum
- Gustavus Adolphus College, The #DayofFacts is here!
- Colby College, Finding Your Way through Facts, “Alternative Facts,” and Propaganda
- Conner Prairie, Twitter campaign Friday aims to foster advocacy for cultural institutions
- Spurlock Museum, Spurlock Museum’s #DayofFacts
- Oakland Museum of California, #DayOfFacts at the Oakland Museum of California
- MCA, Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, A #DayofFacts
- Cube Design Museum, Day Of Facts
- National Aquarium, Facebook Album of National Aquarium infographics
- Special Collections at University of Missouri, #DayOfFacts
- Michigan Museums Association, #DayOfFacts
- Villa Park Public Library, #DayOfFacts
- Tudor Place, #DayOfFacts at Tudor Place
- Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Sharing #DayofFacts (Storify)
- Chicago Academy of Sciences/Peggy Notebaert Museum, A #DayofFacts (Storify)
Please visit the Resources section of our site where we will continue to add links as we find them.
Want to talk about what comes next for members of our fields? Contact us.